Goodyears Bar, California
GPS ***39.541,-120.884*** elev. 2674


                    




GOODYEARS BAR SCHOOLHOUSE

THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED IN EARLY 1862 AS A
CHURCH AND PUBLIC MEETING PLACE. IT WAS BUILT FROM
FLUME LUMBER FLOATED DOWN THE RIVER FROM SNAKE BAR.
IN THE LATTER HALF OF 1862 IT WAS TURNED INTO A TEMPLE
OF LEARNING. MRS. DELANEY WAS THE FIRST TEACHER ON
RECORD. THERE IS SPECULATION THE SCHOOLHOUSE
ESCAPED THE FIRE OF 1864 AND BY 1882 THERE
WERE 31 STUDENTS ENROLLED IN THIS SCHOOL.
TEACHER MRS.SYDNEY STRAND ENDED THE ERA OF
TEACHING ALL EIGHT PRIMARY GRADES IN A ONE ROOM
SCHOOLHOUSE IN 1953 WHEN THE GOVERNING SCHOOL BOARD
DECIDED TO DISCONTINUE ITS USE AND BUSSED THE LOCAL
STUDENTS TO DOWNIEVILLE. THE BOARD GAVE THE BUILDING
TO THE COMMUNITY OF GOODYEARS BAR WHERE FOR THE
LAST 60 YEARS IT HAS BEEN USED AS A SOCIAL HALL,
VOTING PLACE, PRE-SCHOOL, AND CURRENTLY AS A MUSEUM
TO COMMEMORATE THE RICH MINING HISTORY TO WHICH THE
TOWN OWES ITS BEGINNING.

DEDICATED
AUGUST 26, 2012
MAJOR WILLIAM DOWNIE CHAPTER 1849
E CLAMPUS VITUS
WITH HELP FROM CY ROLLINS AND THE COMMUNITY OF GOODYEARS BAR
! CREDO QUIA ABSURDUM !


 
Plaque Dedication

Next Plaque                                Back to Home page