all-plaques‎ > ‎

Alleghany-Caseys

Alleghany  - Casey's Place

GPS *** N39' 28.218 W120' 50.612 *** elev. 4412

   
 
 
BOVEE BUILDING
 
CONSTRUCTED  IN  THE  LATE  1870'S  BY  THE  EARLY
ARGONAUT,  J. F.  BOVEE,  TO  HOUSE  A  CLOTHING  STORE
AND  TAVERN.  IN  1928  DAVID  H.  CASEY,  THE  1918
MARINE  CORPS  LIGHT  WEIGHT  BOXING  CHAMPION,
ACQUIRED  THE  BUILDING.  HE  RAN  A  MEAT  MARKET
WITH  A  "SPEAK EASY"  IN  THE  BASEMENT.  WITH  THE
END  OF  PROHIBITION  CAME  THE  NAME  "CASEY'S
PLACE"  AND  THE  SLOGAN  "BEER,  BOOZE,  AND  BULL."
AFTER  CASEY'S  DEATH  IN  1974,  HIS  FAMILY  RAN
THE  BUSINESS  UNTIL  JANUARY  1978.  THE  PRESENT
OWNERS,  MEL  AND  BECKY  WILKERSON  ACQUIRED
CASEY'S  PLACE  IN  1982.
CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  MAY  21,  1988  BY  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  NO.  1849
E  CLAMPUS  VITUS
 

Back To Index     Next Plaque