all-plaques‎ > ‎

Downieville-Craycroft

Downieville
GPS *** N39' 33.625 W120' 49.676 *** elev. 2908'
  
 
 
 
CRAYCROFT BUILDING
 
ORIGINALLY  A  LOG  BUILDING  CONSTRUCTED
IN  1850  BY  JOHN  CRAYCROFT & COMPANY.  IT
HOUSED  THE  FAMOUS  CRAYCROFT  SALOON
WHICH  BOASTED  A  70  FOOT  BAR  MADE  FROM
ONE  RIP-SAWED  BOARD.  DESTROYED  BY  FIRE,
ON  FEBRUARY  19,  1852,  IT  WAS  IMMEDIATELY
REPLACED  BY  THE  PRESENT  BRICK  &  STONE
STRUCTURE.  IN  THE  EARLY  DAYS  THE  BUILDING
HOUSED  THE  COURT  OF  SESSIONS,  THE  MASONS,
SIERRA  CITIZEN  &  MOUNTAIN  ECHO  NEWS-
PAPERS,  LA  BELLE  RESTAURANT,  AND  THE  JAIL.
 
DEDICATED  AUGUST  23, 1980
BY  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  NO. 1849
E  CLAMPUS  VITUS
 
Back to Index         Next Plaque