all-plaques‎ > ‎

Downieville-DownieCabin

Downieville
GPS *** N39' 33.717 W120' 49.562 elev. 2944
 
     
 
MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CABIN  SITE
 
DOWNIE,  A  NATIVE  OF  SCOTLAND  ARRIVED  IN  SAN
FRANCISCO  ON  JULY  5,  1849.  HE  MOVED  UP  THE
YUBA  TO  THE  FORKS,  ARRIVING  IN  NOVEMBER  OF
1849.  ON  THIS  SITE  HE  BUILT  THE  FIRST  STRUC-
TURE  IN  DOWNIEVILLE  AND  TOOK  RESIDENCE  ON
DECEMBER  10,  1849.  IT  HAS  BEEN  RUMORED  THAT
DOWNIE  HAD  OFFERED  A  CUP  FULL  OF  GOLD  IF
THEY  WOULD  NAME  THE  FORKS  (AS  IT  WAS  KNOWN
THEN)  DOWNIEVILLE.  IT  IS  NOT  CERTAIN  IF  THE
PRICE  WAS  ACTUALLY  PAID.  DOWNIE  WAS  ONE  OF
THE  MOST  FAMOUS  OF  ALL  THE  GOLD  SEEKERS  AND
IS  CONSIDERED  THE  FOUNDER  OF  DOWNIEVILLE.
 
CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  AUGUST  28,  1993  BY  THE  MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  1849
E  CLAMPUS  VITUS