all-plaques‎ > ‎

Downieville-MountainHouse

Downieville
GPS *** N39' 30.014 W120' 53.432 *** elev. 4310'

http://2397880202386039810-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/downie1849/all-plaques/alleghany-caseys/ruler-top.JPG?attredirects=0&auth=ANoY7cpSBI9zQhQdboy2A_SB2onh_8MI383JttLX2zSYcQTKAqEc-iTCWjFP0PuVsRlodF1OYL_5M7Ownln-EAcR58gZ0K786QbEiomb-I7v2oQZ5xx1ccTETnkhwumJwkxobqwqwHM0d-AQdBnkjH-ysbkTwUqIMSjlVNXM2V9FrNERjKCrbkdKJhGwuKfFc7k_yAb7RPtBwcB9jnEstcgbaR16eCqcRQoXc5zeiY8S1oOG6mN_Fvo%3D


MOUNTAIN HOUSE

NEAR  THIS  POINT  STOOD  THE  LOCALLY  FAMOUS  INN  BUILT
BY  DAN  T.  COLE  IN  1860.  BY  1890  THE  THREE - STORY
ROADHOUSE  CONTAINED  16  LODGING  ROOMS,  A  DINING  AND
DANCE  HALL,  BAR,  POSTOFFICE  AND  TELEGRAPH  STATION.
A  DIVISION  POINT  FOR  THE  TOWNS  OF  DOWNIEVILLE
GOODYEARS BAR,  AND  FOREST  CITY  ON  THE  HENNESS  PASS
ROAD.  ITS  BLACKSMITH  AND  TWO  BARNS  PROVIDED  HAY  FOR
TEAMS  AND  FRESH  HORSES  FOR  STAGE  COMPANIES.  THE  INN
WAS  TORN  DOWN  IN  THE  1920s,  WHEN  THE  CONSTRUCTION
OF  HIGHWAY  49  IN  THE  CANYON  BELOW  LED  TO  THE
ROUTE'S  DECLINE.

CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  MAY  13,  2000
MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  1849
E  CLAMPUS  VITUS


Back to Index     Next Plaque