all-plaques‎ > ‎

Downieville-Museum

Downieville
GPS *** N39' 33.633 W120' 49.660 *** elev. 2996'
  
  
 
DOWNIEVILLE MUSEUM
 
ONE  OF  THE  FIRST  BUILDINGS  IN  DOWNIEVILLE,  BUILT  IN  1852
THIS  STONE  BUILDING  WAS  ORIGINALLY  KNOWN  AS  THE  OLD  SLATE
STORE.  THE  WALLS  OF  THIS  BUILDING  ARE  MADE  ENTIRELY  OF
FLAT  ROCKS  LAID  HORIZONTALLY.  IT  WAS  FIRST  USED  AS  A
CHINESE  STORE  WITH  GAMBLING  AND  OPIUM  IN  THE  BACK.  IT
LATER  BECAME  THE  J. M. B.  MEROUX  BUILDING.  THE  ROCK
CONSTRUCTION  ALLOWED  THIS  BUILDING  TO  SURVIVE  A  COUPLE
OF  FIRES  THAT  DESTROYED  MOST  OF  DOWNIEVILLE.  THE  BUILDING
WAS  PRESENTED  TO  THE  COMMUNITY  OF  DOWNIEVILLE  BY
MEMBERS  OF  THE  MEROUX  FAMILY  IN  TRIBUTE  TO  THE  MEMORY
OF  J. M. B.  MEROUX,  WITH  THE  PIONEERS  OF  SIERRA  COUNTY,  THE
NATIVE  DAUGHTERS  (NAOMI  PARLOR  36)  AND  SONS  OF  THE  GOLDEN
WEST  (DOWNIEVILLE  PARLOR  92)  AS  TRUSTEES.  IT  HAS  BEEN  A
MUSEUM  SINCE  1932  AFTER  RESTORATION  OF  THE  ROOF  AND
WOODEN  INTERIOR  WHICH  HAD  DETERIORATED  WITH  AGE.  THE
NUCLEUS  OF  THE  MUSEUM  IS  A  COLLECTION  OF  VALUABLE  RELICS
GATHERED  BY  FORMER  SHERIFF  GEORGE  C.  BYNON.
 
CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  AUGUST  23,  2008
MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  1849
E  CLAMPUS  VITUS
 
Back to Index            Next Plaque