all-plaques‎ > ‎

Downieville-StCharlesHotel

Downieville
GPS *** N39' 33.625 W120' 49.676 *** elev. 2893' 
    
 
  
 
ST. CHARLES HOTEL
 
THE  ORIGINAL  HOTEL  WAS  BUILT  IN  1850.  DESTROYED  BY
FIRE,  FEBRUARY  19, 1852  AND  WAS  REBUILT  BY  THOMAS  H.  CLAIR.
PROPRIETOR.  IT  ALSO  WAS  DESTROYED  BY  FIRE  IN  1864.
F. A.  ESCHBACKER  BUILT  A  NEW  ST.  CHARLES  HOTEL  AND
OPERATED  IT  INTO  THE  1880'S,  UPON  HIS  DEATH  HIS  SON
WILLIAM  AND  HIS  WIFE  BECAME  PROPRIETORS,  THEY  SOLD
TO  JOHN  COSTA.  IN  1902  HE  SOLD  TO  ANTONE  LAVEZZOLA
WHO  REMAINED  PROPRIETOR  UNTIL  1942.  MARION  F.  LUSK
BOUGHT  THE  HOTEL  AND  SOLD  TO  ORA  HUGGINS  WHO  WAS
THE  OWNER  WHEN  IT  BURNT  FOR  THE  LAST  TIME  IN  1947.  THE
ST.  CHARLES  WAS  AN  AREA  LANDMARK  AND  PRINCIPAL
HOTEL  OF  DOWNIEVILLE.  IT  HOUSED  THE  FIRST  TELEGRAPH
AND  WELLS  FARGO  EXPRESS  OFFICE.
 
CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  AUGUST  27,  1994
BY  THE  MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  #1849,  E  CLAMPUS  VITUS