all-plaques‎ > ‎

DownievilleFoundry

Downieville
GPS *** N39' 33.675 W120' 49.526 *** elev. 2895'

 
 
DOWNIEVILLE  FOUNDRY
 
BUILT  IN  1855  BY  SOLOMAN  PURDY  OF  TIMBERS  MORTISED  AND
FASTENED  WITH  WOODEN  PEGS.  THE  "COKE"  AND  PIG  IRON  USED
WAS  SHIPPED  "AROUND  THE  HORN"  TO  SAN  FRANCISCO  THEN  BY
PACK  TRAIN  TO  DOWNIEVILLE  AT  A  COST  OF  $40.00  PER  TON.
THE  FOUNDRY  OPERATED  AT  FULL  CAPACITY  FOR  MANY  YEARS
FURNISHING  TOOLS  AND  MACHINERY  FOR  THE  40-STAMP  SIERRA
BUTTES  MILL.  IN  1869  THE  TRANSCONTINENTAL  RAILROAD  COM-
PLETION  ALLOWED  FOR  CHEAPER  GOODS.  LEADING  TO  GRADUAL
DECLINE.  IN  1910  OWNER  CONVERSE  YOLK  INSTALLED  A  DAM,
RACEWAY  AND  GENERATOR  ACROSS  THE  ROAD,  FURNISHING
ELECTRIC  POWER  TO  THE  TOWN.  IN  1995  A  NONPROFIT  CORPORA-
TION  OF  LOCAL  CITIZENS  LED  BY  LEN  KINZLER  PURCHASED
THE  STRUCTURE  TO  PRESERVE  AND  SERVE  AS  A  MUSEUM.
 
CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  AUGUST 28,  2005
MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  1849
E  CLAMPUS  VITUS