all-plaques‎ > ‎

Forest City-OreCar

Forest City
GPS *** N39' 29.388 W120' 51.186 *** elev. 4472
    
 
 
FOREST CITY
 
SETTLED IN 1850 BY MR. SAVAGE  THE FIRST LOCATIONS ON SMITH'S FLAT
WERE MADE IN 1851. THE COMPANY CONSISTED OF BIG SMITH, FRANK POWERS,
THOMAS DUNHAM, ELIHU MOSGROVE, AND DAVIE LEWIS. THE DIGGINGS
WERE NAMED BROWNSVILLE IN 1852 BY A COMPANY OF SAILORS, BOB
RITCHIE, LITTLE RED AND MR. BROWN. THE AREA WAS ALSO KNOWN AS
YOMANA AND FORKS OF OREGON CREEK. WITH A GROWTH TO 1400
PERSONS IN NINE MONTHS TIME. THE CAMP WAS RENAMED ELIZAVILLE
AFTER MRS. W.S. DAVIS AND IN 1853, FOREST CITY BY MRS. MOODY.
IN MAY 1854 THE TOWN BOASTED 7 PROVISION STORES, 4 CLOTHING
STORES, A TIN SHOP, 2 LIVERY STABLES, 2 MEAT MARKETS, 4
BLACKSMITHS AND 5 HOTELS. THE TWO LARGEST BEING THE READ HOUSE
(T.A. READ. PROP.) AND THE MERCHANTS HOTEL (MR. PRATT PROP.)
IN 1854 THE DIGGINGS ON THE FLAT PAID AN OUNCE A DAY CLEAR TO THE
MAN. THE BEST PAYING MINES WERE LIVE YANKEE, DUTCH EMPIRE,
HAWKEYS, LITTLE ROCK, ROUGH AND READY, GET AWAY, DON JOSE,
MANHATTAN, AMERICAN, FREE AND EASY AND GIRARD. FOREST CITY
IS ONE OF THE RICHEST GOLD AREAS IN THE NORTHERN MINES REGION.
 
CREDO QUIA ABSURDUM
DEDICATED MAY 22, 1993
BY THE MAJOR WILLIAM DOWNIE CHAPTER #1849 E CLAMPUS VITUS
 
 
Back To Index      Next Plaque