all-plaques‎ > ‎

ForestCity-Brewery

 Forest City
GPS *** N39' 29.375 W120' 51.181 *** elev. 4465'
     
 
 
FOREST  CITY  BREWERY
 
ESTABLISHED  IN  THE  EARLY  1850's  BY  HENRY  KERN  AND  SOLD
IN  1858  TO  JOHN  AMERHEIM  AND  FRANK  DEIDEL,  TOGETHER
WITH  MULES,  HOGS,  MALT,  BARLEY  AND  KEGS.  THE  BREWERY
BURNED  FOUR  TIMES  OVER  ITS  80  YEAR  HISTORY  BUT  WAS
REBUILT  IN  THE  SAME  LOCATION  DUE  TO  ITS  STONE  BREWING
CELLAR  (NOW  FILLED  IN)  AND  AMPLE  "BREWERY  SPRING"
ACROSS  THE  CREEK.  RENOWNED  FOREST  CITY  BEER  WAS  SOLD
BY  THE KEG,  GALLON  AND  GLASS.  DURING  PROHIBITION  YEARS,
THE  BAR  SOLD  LOCALLY -MADE  MOONSHINE.  LIKE  MANY  TOWN
STRUCTURES,  THE  BUILDING  WAS  TORN  DOWN  FOR  SALVAGE  IN
THE  1930's
 
CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  MAY  29,  1999  BY
THE  MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  #1849   E  CLAMPUS  VITUS
 
 
Back To Index     Next Plaque