all-plaques‎ > ‎

ForestCity-DanceHall

Forest City
GPS *** N39' 29.375 W120' 51.197 *** elev. 4468'
   
 
 
 
FOREST  CITY  DANCE  HALL
 
BUILT  BY  WEST  AND  KNOWLES  FOLLOWING  THE  FIRE  OF
1883.  THIS  THEN  THREE-STORY  STRUCTURE  HOUSED  THE
KNIGHTS  OF  PYTHIAS,  A  LARGE  RUBBER-SPRUNG  DANCE  FLOOR,
BARBER  SHOP,  SALOON  AND  BILLIARD  HALL.  IN  THE  LATE
1930S,  THE  TOP  FLOORS  WERE  CRUSHED  BY  SNOW  AND  THE
DANCE  FLOOR  RELOCATED  TO  THE  BOTTOM  STORY.  THE  HAND-
GRAINED  WAINSCOTING,  BAR  AND  FIXTURES  REFLECT  THE
ORIGINAL  1880S  DECOR.  THE  BARBER  SHOP  WITH  ITS  ORIGI-
NAL  FURNISHINGS  WAS  IN  THE  ROOM  NOW  OCCUPIED  BY
THE  MUSEUM.  IN  1992  THE  FOREST  CITY  HISTORICAL  ASSO-
CIATION  ASSUMED  STEWARDSHIP  AND  HAS  DEDICATED  IT  TO
PUBLIC  USE
 
CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  JULY  13,  1996
BY  THE  MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  #1849   E  CLAMPUS  VITUS
 
 
Back To Index     Next Plaque