all-plaques‎ > ‎

MasonicBuilding

Downieville
GPS *** N39' 33.578 W120' 49.666 *** elev. 2920'
 
 
MASONIC  BUILDING

THE  MOUNTAIN  SHADE  LODGE  NO.  18  F. &  A. M.
RECEIVED  IT'S  CHARTER  ON  MAY  5,  1852.  PRIOR
TO  THAT  DATE  THEY  OPERATED  UNDER  A  DESPEN-
SATION.  THE  MASONS  MET  ORIGINALLY  IN  THE
CRAYCROFT  BUILDING,  THEN  ERECTED  THEIR  OWN
BUILDING  ON  THIS  SITE  IN  1852.  THE  ORIGINAL
STRUCTURE  WAS  DESTROYED  BY  FIRE,  AND  WAS
REPLACED  BY  THE  PRESENT  BUILDING  IN  1864.

DEDICATED  AUGUST  23,  1986
DOWNIE  CHAPTER  NO.  1849
E  CLAMPUS  VITUS