all-plaques‎ > ‎

MiningValve

Downieville
 
DONATED HYDRAULIC VALVE
DOWNIEVILLE MUSEUM
 


 
 
 
VALVE FROM THE HYDRAULIC DIGGINGS
AT MORRISTOWN
 
THIS HUGE HAND OPERATED VALVE CONTROLLED HIGH
PRESSURE WATER TO ONE OR MORE MONITORS OR PIPES IN
THE OLD DIGGINGS AT MORRISTOWN WHERE EXTENSIVE
HYDRAULIC MINING WAS CARRIED ON FROM THE EARLY
1850'S INTO THE MIDDLE 1880'S. DATING FROM AT LEAST THE
EARLY 1860'S, IT WAS PROBABLY USED BY THE AMERICAN
HYDRAULIC COMPANY ONE OF THE MAIN COMPANIES THAT
FOR MANY YEARS, OPERATED AT MORRISTOWN.
AT THE HEIGHT OF THE WATER SEASON THE MAIN DITCH
TO THE DIGGINGS CARRIED ABOUT TWO THOUSAND MINERS
INCHES OF WATER, SUFFICIENT TO SUPPLY FOUR MONITORS
(WATER CANNONS) AT THE SAME TIME.
THIS GREAT VALVE WAS CAST IN FIVE SEPARATE
PIECES AND THEN ASSEMBLED. NOTE THE SHEET LEAD
GASKETS BETWEEN THE FLANGES JOINING THE MAIN BODY
OF THE VALVE. LEATHER OR CANVAS WOULD NOT HAVE
WITHSTOOD THE ENORMOUS PRESSURE OF THE WATER,
PROBABLY EXCEEDING 100 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH.
 
 
DONATED BY DOWNIE CHAPTER 1849, E CLAMPUS VITUS