all-plaques‎ > ‎

RubyGoldMine

Downieville
GPS *** N39' 34 W120' 50 *** elev.5287' 
  
 
 
 
RUBY GOLD MINE
 
CLAIMS  WERE  FIRST  LOCATED  IN  1856  ON  THE  OUTBREAK  OF
AN  ANCESTRAL  YUBA  RIVER,  GRAVEL DEPOSITS  LAID  DOWN
400  MILLION  YEARS  AGO  IN  A  NORTH  SOUTH  CHANNEL  WERE
LEFT  HIGH  ABOVE  THE  PRESENT  DAY  YUBA  RIVERS.  HORIZON-
TAL  LAYERS  ALLOWED  LATERAL  TUNNELING,  OR  DRIFT  MINING,
BENEATH  BLUFFS  TO  THE  SOUTH.  REOPENED  IN  1934  BY
C. L.  BEST  AND  MANAGED  BY  LEWIS  HUELSDONK  THE  MINE
PRODUCED  50,000  OUNCES  OF  GOLD  BETWEEN  1936-42  IN-
CLUDING  THE  ACCLAIMED  SIERRA  COUNTY  GOLD  NUGGET
COLLECTION.  IN  1942,  LIMITATION  ORDER  #208  CURTAILED
NON-ESSENTIAL  INDUSTRY  TO  PROMOTE  WWII  PRODUCTION
RESULTING  IN  THE  MINE'S  CLOSURE  WHILE  STILL  IN  RICH
GRAVEL.  THE  MINE  IS  CURRENTLY  THE  LARGEST  EMPLOYER
IN  WESTERN  SIERRA  COUNTY.
 
CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  MAY  18,  1996   BY
MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  #1849,   E  CLAMPUS  VITUS