all-plaques‎ > ‎

St.CharlesHotel

Goodyears Bar
GPS *** N39' 32.331  W120' 53.161 *** elev. 2678'



THE  ST. CHARLES  HOTEL

THE  ST.  CHARLES  WAS  ERECTED  IN  1852  AS  A  HOTEL  BY
MR.  HERMSEIR.  IT  WAS  PURCHASED  IN  1860  BY  CHRISTINA  AND
JACOB  FLUKE,  AND  BURNED  IN  1864.  IN  THAT  YEAR,  IT  WAS  REBUILT
TO  INCLUDE  A  BAR  AND  UPSTAIRS  DANCE  HALL.  IN  1899,  PAUL  AND
GERTRUDE  BACHELS  PURCHASED  THE  HOTEL  FROM  THE  FLUKE
ESTATE  AUCTION.  IN  THE  MID-1930'S  THE  HOTEL  WAS  INHERITED  BY
MARCELLUS (SI)  AND  IDA (BACHELS) FISCHER.  IT  CONTINUED
OPERATION  AS  A  HOTEL  UNTIL  THE  MID  1950S,  SERVING  MANY
PATRONS  INCLUDING  TEAMSTERS  AND  CATTLEMEN  DRIVING
MOUNTAIN  HOUSE  GRADE.  THE  POST  OFFICE  WAS  HOUSED  IN  THE
HOTEL  FROM  1912  UNTIL  THE  MID-1950'S,  WHEN  IT  BECAME  THE
FAMILY  RESIDENCE  OF  MEL  AND  MARCELLA (FISCHER [BACHELS])
PONTA.  IN  1994,  MARK  AND  TAMMY  HELM  PURCHASED  THE
BUILDING  AND,  IN  CONJUCTION  WITH  THE  ROLLINS  FAMILY,
RENOVATED  IT  TO  A  HOTEL,  AND  BED  AND  BREAKFAST.

CREDO  QUIA  ABSURDUM
DEDICATED  AUGUST  27,  2006
MAJOR  WILLIAM  DOWNIE  CHAPTER  1849
E  CLAMPUS  VITUS