all-plaques‎ > ‎

Stamp Mill

Forest City
GPS *** N39' 29.364 W 120' 51.212 *** elev. 4400'


STAMP MILL

THIS MILL USED TO CRUSH QUARTZ ROCK IN ORDER TO EXTRACT
GOLD, WAS FIRST LOCATED AT THE DEL NORTE AND SCOTIA MINE
IN FRENCH RAVINE, NEAR ALLEGHANY, AN AREA WHICH WAS
SUFFERING FROM AN EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES. THE
ALLEGHANY LODE WAS THE PUREST POCKET OF GOLD IN THE
UNITED STATES. THIS MILL WAS BUILT IN SAN FRANCISCO IN 1901
BY THE KROGH MFG. CO. AND WAS BROUGHT TO THIS AREA BY MULE
TEAMS. IT WEIGHS 8750 POUNDS, AND WAS ORDERED BY E.L.
CRAFTS OF FOREST CITY FOR USE AT THE MINE. IT HAD THE
CAPACITY TO CRUSH 8 TO 14 TONS OF ROCK A DAY. THIS MILL
WAS USED UNTIL THE MINE CEASED OPERATION IN 1949. THIS MILL
IS A TRIPLE-DISCHARGE DOUBLE STAMP 1000 LB. MILL, DRIVEN BY
A 10 HP HORIZONTAL ENGINE AND LOCOMOTIVE BOILER. IN
COOPERATION WITH THE US FOREST SERVICE AND THE FOREST
CITY HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION, THE CLAMPERS OF DOWNIEVILLE
CHAPER 1849 FUNDED AND REFURBISHED THIS MILL
TO BE OPERATIONAL.


CREDO QUIA ABSURDUM
DEDICATED JUNE 20, 2009
MAJOR WILLIAM DOWNIE CHAPTER 1849,  E CLAMPUS VITUS



Back to Index          Next Plaque